Friday, November 24, 2017

PLACES IN THE HEART

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Yesterday was dreary and rainy, but the weather couldn't dampen the scent of the turkey and all the other good food I had prepared.

As the turkey spent its time in the oven, I watched a favorite movie from 1984 on Turner Classic Movies: Places In The Heart. It stars Sally Field (she won her second Best Actress Academy Award and gave that often misquoted speech), Danny Glover, and John Malkovich.

Every time I see the final sequence, I have tears in my eyes. Yet I have always wondered about the presence in the church of characters who have died or gone away. Edna Spalding's (Sally Field) late husband is there, next to the man who accidentally shot and killed him and was lynched for it. Moses (Danny Glover) appears, although he's had to leave the Spalding farm because of an attack by the KKK.




But yesterday, as the characters took Communion, I finally realized that all are in place because in the end, nothing is left but love and forgiveness.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

32 comments:

  1. Ooooh, nice. I like the conclusion you drew about the characters in that movie. In the end, love and forgiveness IS what matters.

    I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Now... have a super weekend! (That's an order!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I love the character of Edna Spalding. She's so soft-spoken, but no one could be tougher and grittier.

      Delete
  3. I remember the film so very well...it reminded me of a Norman Rockwell painting

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always makes me cry.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janie - I've never watched it ... but love the way you've phrased it ... so I can understand the happy ending - when all should be well in the world ....have a peaceful weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Hilary I haven't seen the movie. Love and forgiveness are wonderful things to have - or even to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've actually never watched this movie. I just finished viewing the trailer and now I have to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Janie. Now I want to see the whole movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness! Watched this so very long ago, remember I really liked it, and now want to see it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I've never seen this movie--I just ordered it on Netflix!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aargh . . . how'm I supposed to type with all these tears in my eyes? I love that hymn but it breaks my heart hearing it because it seems to be used at funerals here quite a bit, especially for country folk where I grew up. In fact, my mom and I went to one of those funerals last week and, yes, this tune was sung. I have to go blow my nose now.

    And Sally Field - what an actress. I don't think I've seen anything by her that I didn't like, except the TV series she was in a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I see a movie with hymns, I sing them for days afterwards. I know all the words.

      Delete
  12. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever seen that movie. But your beautiful description makes me want to see it for sure now. Thank you for this. Best wishes always!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it. Best wishes to you, too.

      Delete
  13. I have never really wanted to see this film but enough time has passed now that I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. :: raises hand as another who weeps over this one ::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to make lists of the movies that make us cry. I'll add Terms of Endearment.

      Delete
  15. I know I have seen it, but I don't remember it. A film endig with love and forgiveness must, indeed, have been a good one. And one I ought to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving, Janie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "In the end, nothing is left but love and forgiveness," I love that. All though, I can't help but think, this scene aside, spite also endures.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.