Friday, March 30, 2012

MOVIE MOVIE WEEKEND

Dear Friends,

Just in case you're in the mood to watch a DVD this weekend, I have two possibilities for your consideration.

The first is not for the sensitive or faint of heart. It is called "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo." It's the sort of movie I usually wouldn't like because it is pretty gory and nasty in spots. But it's also an extremely good thriller. I could see what the solution to the mystery was going to be, but I don't have any way of knowing if it's obvious to everyone.

I have a gift (usually) when it comes to solving a puzzle. Give me a mystery to read, and I know who the killer is by page 12. That's one of the reasons I don't bother to read mysteries. Seldom are they mysteries to me.

But if you like a good thriller, I recommend "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," -- conditionally. It's quite dark. You must promise me that if you are frightened or grossed out that you will not call me at 3 a.m. because you can't sleep. It's not that I won't be awake. I probably will be. I simply don't care to chat at that hour of the morning unless it's with one particular person or with my dogs.

The second movie is charming and tender. It's called "Beginners." Christopher Plummer, who won the Best Supporting actor Academy Award for his role as Hal, is a man who has finally come out of the closet following his wife's death. He enjoys his gay lifestyle, feeling open and free for the first time in his life, and then cancer gets him.

Through it all, his son Oliver (Ewan McGregor) is at his side, as is his dog, Arthur, a Jack Russell terrier played by Cosmo. The dog is adorable, and not sickeningly adorable. Just adorable enough. This movie is so well made, with its flashes to different times, or the dog looking up at Oliver and under the dog is a subtitle so we know what the dog is thinking.

If you want a movie that's not scary, but is sweet and thought provoking, I would choose "Beginners."

Happy Watching and Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

14 comments:

  1. I tried several times but couldn't get into the "Dragon Tattoo" book, so I think I'll pass on the movie. I absolutely LOVED "Beginners"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded some movies yesterday to watch today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mis 2 Pesos, Hope you enjoy them.

    fishducky, Seeing the movie made me want to read the book, but I don't know when I'll get to it. I have about 30 relaxing around the house, waiting for a turn at being read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not into blood and guts so I'll pass on the first one. I would call you at 3 otherwise. I'm the same way i can figure out mysteries in no time. Movies or books. I don't know why my mind works that way. It pisses Phil off sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mysteries are so obvious and formulaic, Mel. They're dull. We have to come up with a mystery no one can figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Movies? What are those? The Big Tuna and I can never agree, he wants fast cars and guns, I want romantic laughs.

    Nascar vs Kathy Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Janie, . . . thanks for the recommendations. I know I won't watch the dark one, but the one with Christopher Plummer sounds just up my alley!
    Peace.

    PS: I’ll be absent from the blogging world during the month of April. However, I’m going to schedule reposts of stories I posted last May and June when I had only a few readers. If you have time, please stop by my blog every Tuesday and Saturday in April. I’d appreciate comments because they will help me decide just what topics to cover in the memoir on which I’m working.

    I regret already that I’ll be missing all your April postings. If you have several you’d like me to read when I begin again in May, please go to my blog mention the postings that are particularly important to you.

    I’ll start reading again on Tuesday, May 1. See you then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee, I'll miss you, but I look forward to reading your early posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Dear Mrs. Tuna, I'm shocked that you've been out and about. I recommend Warriors for you and The Big Tuna. Mixed martial arts and family drama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the book and it's on my to read list. Will let you know later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recommendations. I've loved Christopher Plummer since the Sound of Music, Ewen McGregor since Moulin Rouge, and Jack Russell terriers since Frasier. But I don't like cancer. :( Still, I'll keep Beginners in mind. I'm still on the fence about Tattoo, but you make a good case for it, darkness & all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicki, Although cancer is part of Beginners, it doesn't control the movie. The most important parts are relationships and how they change. I usually don't like anything frightening, but I loved Tattoo. It's very stylish and sleek in spite of its darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cry if a kid in a film falls down and skins his knee, so Tattoo is out for me! I really have wanted to see Beginners though. Branden even wants to see it so we may need to download that one ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maggie, You might last two minutes into Tattoo, but I think you'll love Beginners. It has some sad moments, but it's very sweet and tender.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.