Friday, February 25, 2011

ANNETTE IS ALL RIGHT

Gentle Readers,

I'm a bit concerned about Annette Bening. You might think, Oh, Lola has lost it now. She's worried about the woman who captured Warren Beatty and is a fabulous actress.

I have loved Annette since I first saw her in The Grifters with John Cusack and Anjelica Huston. If you've never seen Grifters, do so now. Excellent performances and script. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. It's unpredictable and suspenseful.

Annette is now nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress in The Kids Are All Right -- definitely an all right movie and Annette is all right for the part. But I'm worried about Annette because the last couple of times (at least that I'm aware of) that she's been nominated for best actress she's lost to Hilary Swank. The second time Annette was in Being Julia -- wonderful, wonderful -- but Hilary won for Million Dollar Baby.

I have to admit Hilary deserved that win.

But the first time Hilary took home the Oscar, she won for Boys Don't Cry over Annette in American Beauty. Hilary was excellent in Boys, but I really think Annette was even better in Beauty. She was just as good as Kevin Spacey, who won Best Actor.

So, twice now, Annette has lost out to that young upstart Hilary Swank. And this year Natalie Portman has been taking home a lot of awards for Black Swan. I haven't seen Black Swan. I imagine it's very good. But I did see The Kids and I'm sorta kinda bothered by the thought that Annette might lose out yet again to a young upstart. I like Annette, and I really want to see her with an Oscar.

It would please me.

So keep your toes, fingers, and anything else you can cross crossed for Annette -- unless Natalie deserves the win big time. It's just that Annette gives such rich, riveting performances. She is an Actress through and through.

The Academy Awards are on this Sunday, February 27th, at 8:30 p.m. EST on ABC.

Good luck and God bless you Annette!

Infinities of love,

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.