Saturday, November 6, 2010

MOVIE NIGHT!

Gentle Readers,

It has turned chilly here in the hinterlands. A Nordic frost has descended on us Norwegian Lutherans. The grumpy-assed German Lutherans are frosty all year round.

Well, what better way to spend a Saturday evening without spending much money or needing a babysitter than to pop a DVD in? I know I certainly can't afford to go to a movie theater. Besides, it's too far away and Netflix and Amazon bring movies to me right here at home. I open the door and there they are in the mail box. I love the modern world and all its amenities. I mean, really, if you're anywhere near my age, which is fhrmhrmone, it never occurred to us when we were children that someday people would have VCRs. We didn't even have color TV. Getting a color TV seemed like a miracle.

Enough nostalgia: On to the movies.

Today I present hilarity or tragedy -- whatever you're in the mood for.

This movie comes with the highest Lola Comedy Seal of Approval: Get Him To The Greek. Thought I'd die laughing. This movie isn't just funny. It's Christopher Guest funny. Yes, I laughed that hard. Jonah Hill is always funny; I'd never heard of Russell Brand before and he was wonderful as rocker Aldous Snow;and Sean Puff Daddy P Diddy Combs was a revelation in funny as Sergio Roma, the head of a record label.

Sergio Roma: I've got six fuckin' kids! Do you know how many Air Jordans six black kids wear? 


Now we move to something a bit more weepy: Things We Lost In The Fire. Yes, it's sad, but it's so beautifully sad. How can a movie not be beautiful when it stars Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro? Even when Del Toro is smack-ravaged, he's gorgeous. 


I may have mentioned this once or twice or a dozen times before, but the Beautiful Benicio went to the same high school as Favorite Young Woman - not at the same time. He's much older than she is. But when I was a reporter I called the school and asked them to arrange a telephone interview with Benicio because Traffic, an all-time great movie , had just come out so I interviewed Benicio and soon after he won an Academy Award. 


Coincidence? I think not. 


I gave him The Lola Bump over the telephone. Tee hee.


If you can get Greek I'd watch it tonight. 


Aaron Green: [as Sergio is chasing after them in a hotel lobby] This is the longest hallway of all time!
Aldous Snow: It's Kubrickian! 



But watch Fire soon. It's worth it.


Set your clocks back one hour! Extra hour of sleep tonight! Whoo hoo!


Infinities of Love,


Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.